As per our best RC car brands of 2016 post and poll, Traxxas is one of the most popular RC brands out there right now. So with that information you’re probably asking, what is the best Traxxas RC car? And I would say what a great question! First off, let’s look at what makes a good car – the best car for one person may not be the best for another so we need to set some ground rules.
What makes an RC car “the best”?
- Price: Depending on your budget, a low-priced car might be the best for you, or the highest priced top-end car may be the best. I’ll differentiate a few different “best” categories throughout this post.
- Durability: This is universal through all desires, you want your car to be durable no matter your budget.
- Modability: This could go either way, you could want your car to perform perfectly out of the box or you might want to have options to modify the vehicle.
- Style: Simply asking what’s the best Traxxas RC car is a bit tricky because they make trucks, cars, buggys, and more. So there will be a few different “best-ofs” in this post that will hopefully help you choose the right Traxxas car for you.
Without any more blabbering, let’s get into the top RC cars out there made by Traxxas right now – there’s something for everyone!
Best Traxxas RC Car Reviews
Traxxas Slash 4×4
Best beginner and budget Traxxas RC car
It’s hard to go wrong with a Traxxas Slash for your first RC, or for any budget minded individual – if you’re buying this as a gift you’ll definitely be the cool relative. And I don’t say these two points to knock the quality of the product, with 2×4 and 4×4 options the Traxxas Slash comes ready for off-roading, racing, bashing, or anything really and performs quite well. Some specs for the 4×4:
- The best selling RC car, pretty well ever
- 2.4GHz radio system
- XL-2.5 ESC with Titan 550 Motor
- 6-Cell NiMH 1200mAh Traxxas iD battery
- Comes with 2 Amp DCcharger
- ALL OF THE ELECTRONICS ARE WATERPROOF
These things come ready for action out of the box, the amount of parts available for upgrades or repairs are countless – you really can’t go wrong with getting a Traxxas Slash as a beginner or for a car to mod. I’ve recommended the 4×4 option because I see this car mainly as a beginner vehicle that will be used for a wide variety of off-roading, racing, bashing, and all that fun stuff when you’re an excited beginner. If you’re not pumped already, check out this video that shows exactly how much the 4×4 platform can handle.
Note: This car comes with a 12v adapter (like in the car) so you’ll need a wall adapter to charge it through a regular house-hold plug.
Traxxas Stampede 4×4
Great intro 4×4 and off-road Traxxas truck
Another great Traxxas car, or should I say MONSTER TRUCK, is the 4×4 Stampede. I recommend the Slash as a really great all-around vehicle, but with the Stampede we’re getting more specifically into off-roading, bashing, and monster trucking! The suspension on this sucker is rugged and the wheel and body height will let you conquer any terrain with all four wheels spinning on the ground.
- This car has almost identical specs to the Slash
- Longer wheel-base and higher-body, larger wheels than the Slash
- Waterproof ESC (The computer that controls the car)
- Waterproof EVERYTHING – for getting dirty in the mud, snow, and water
- Robust wheels, suspension, and lift kit lets you conquer it all
Check out this video below where a Stampede outruns a whippet (a fast dog) in some sweet terrain, tearing up the dirt and taking some sweet hops – always landing upright!
Traxxas E-Revo Brushless 4×4
Ready to race high-end Slash essentially
Basically an upgraded Slash comes the E-Revo with a more robust steering system, better motor, and overall more high-quality parts. If you’re an intermediate RC car driver and want a great all-around racer, 4×4 vehicle then it’s hard to go wrong with the E-Revo. Let’s look at the specs:
- Traxxas Stability Management for superior handling and speed
- Needs two 7-cell 8.4V 3000mAh NiMH batteries
- Durable car for racing or off-roading – 4×4 option makes it all happen
- Fully waterproofed
- Overall a great car for the heavy-wallet beginner, great as a gift, and great for intermediates.
Traxxas X-Maxx 4×4
Best Traxxas monster truck / 4×4 / off-roader
Where to start with the X-Maxx – basically the pinnacle of 4×4 Traxxas this thing features their latest and greatest TSM (Traxxas Stability Management). This stability system turns this beefy monster truck that can handle it all into a faster. easier to control, and more stable monster with superior wheel spin and steering.
- You need more heavy duty batteries for this truck (Two 3S LiPo 5000mAh or greater – Traxxas has the #2990 competer pack)
- Brushless motor, radio controller, ESC, and everything you need to get started comes with the car.
- One of the most popular high-end 4×4 monster trucks by Traxxas
- I would recommend this for the experienced RC car driver who wants a top of the line off-roading experience
Traxxas XO-1 AWD Supercar
Best Traxxas RC track car – 100mph+ out of the box
This 1/7 scale big block brushless motor Traxxas is insanely fast out of the box, and has technology to boot. It features an integrated speed, RPM, temperature, and voltage telemtry system which is just the tip of the iceberg. THIS THING CAN GO 100MPH OR MORE OUT OF THE BOX – let’s check out some videos:
- Hit over 100mph with LiPo batteries
- Top-quality parts and support (price reflects that)
- Has a wireless link module
- Extreme speed control
- Telemetry system to track important indicators (speed, RPM, temperature – very important for an RC going this fast)
- Overall the best RC car made by Traxxas
This is definitely a top-end car and price reflects it, but the best of the best when it comes to speed in RC won’t be cheap! I would recommend this for the beginner who wants to have a blast with no budget, or the vet looking for some serious speed on the track.
Traxxas RC Wrap Up
If you were wondering which is the best Traxxas RC car – whether buying a car for yourself or as a gift then hopefully this post has helped you out. If you own a Traxxas I’d love to hear from you in the comments which one is your favorite and if you agree or disagree with my list. I know all of their cars are great and use a lot of similar materials but this guide should hold as a good starting point for someone with limited information!